Biodiversity Science ›› 2012, Vol. 20 ›› Issue (2): 199-206.doi: 10.3724/SP.J.1003.2012.08159

• Original Papers • Previous Article     Next Article

Genetic variability and relationship of 10 Bactrian camel populations revealed by microsatellite markers

Xiaohong He1, 2, Xiuli Han1, 2, Weijun Guan1, 2, Kechuan Tian3, Wenbin Zhang4, Yuehui Ma1, 2*   

  1. 1Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing 100193

    2The Key Laboratory for Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture of China, Beijing 100193

    3Xinjiang Academy of Animal Science, Urumqi 830000

    4Bactrian Camels Institute of Alxa League, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Alxa Left Banner, Inner Mongolia 750300
  • Received:2011-09-08 Revised:2012-03-26 Online:2012-04-09
  • Yuehui Ma

In order to investigate the genetic diversity, genetic relationship, genetic differentiation and possible inbreeding at the molecular level, nine Chinese indigenous Bactrian camel populations and one Mongolian population were sampled and genotyped using 18 microsatellite markers. We did so to provide scientific evidence and technical support for the development of sound policy for the conservation and sustainable utilization of Bactrian camel genetic resources. The results showed that all ten of the Bactrian camel populations had rich genetic diversity with a total of 242 alleles at the 18 loci. The mean number of alleles per locus was 13.44, the average number of effective alleles was 4.18, the mean observed heterozygosity (HO) was 0.5528, and polymorphic information content (PIC) averaged 0.5996. Overall genetic differentiation among the ten populations was highly significant (P < 0.001) with 9.6% of the total genetic variance present among the populations and remaining 90.4% among individuals within the populations. Cluster analysis, principal component analysis and structure analysis all indicated that the ten Bactrian camel populations were separated into two clades: the first included four populations from Xinjiang while the second was made up of the remaining six populations. The genetic differentiation and structuring among the 10 Bactrian camel populations were generally in agreement with the geographic distribution and natural geographic barriers among populations.

CLC Number: 

  • S824

No related articles found!
Full text



[1] Decheng Xu, Xiaojing Wang. Axillary Bud Propagation and Regeneration from Stem Segment Explants in Calophyllum inophyllum[J]. Chin Bull Bot, 2014, 49(2): 167 -172 .
[2] Peng Xiang. Plant Geography Study and Symposium for Chinese Teachers Universities and Colleges was held in Changchun[J]. Chin J Plan Ecolo, 1984, 8(1): 85 .
[3] HUANG Man-Rong-, GUO Wei. Altitudinal Gradients of Lichen Species Richness in Tibet, China[J]. Plant Diversity, 2012, 34(2): 192 -198 .
[4] Xueming Lei,Fangfang Shen,Xuechen Lei,Wenfei Liu,Honglang Duan,Houbao Fan,Jianping Wu. Assessing influence of simulated canopy nitrogen deposition and understory removal on soil microbial community structure in a Cunninghamia lanceolata plantation[J]. Biodiv Sci, 2018, 26(9): 962 -971 .
[5] Bo Wu, Chunquan Zhu, Diqiang Li, , Ke Dong, Xiulei Wang, Peili Shi. Setting biodiversity conservation priorities in the Forests of the Upper Yangtze Ecoregion based on ecoregion conservation methodology[J]. Biodiv Sci, 2006, 14(2): 87 -97 .
[6] Yi-Can Zhang, Ying-Ning Zou, Li-Ping Liu and Qiang-Sheng Wu. Common mycorrhizal networks activate salicylic acid defense responses of trifoliate orange (Poncirus trifoliata)[J]. J Integr Plant Biol, 0, (): 1 -13 .
[7] YU Shun-Li, JIANG Gao-Ming. The Research Development of Soil Seed Bank and Several Hot Topics[J]. Chin J Plan Ecolo, 2003, 27(4): 552 -560 .
[8] LIANG Han-Xing,LI Lu and PENG Hua. Original Paper Floral Organogenesis in Verbenaceae sensulato[J]. J Integr Plant Biol, 2001, 43(7): 673 -679 .
[9] WANG Li-Qin; SHEN Yue-Mao; ZHOU Lu; ZHOU Jun. Three New C21 Steroidal Glycosides from Cynanchum komarovii (Asclepiadaceae)[J]. Plant Diversity, 2006, 28(06): 679 -683 .
[10] ZHAN Shu-Xia,ZHENG Shu-Xia,WANG Yang,BAI Yong-Fei. Response and correlation of above- and below-ground functional traits of Leymus chinensis to nitrogen and phosphorus additions[J]. Chin J Plan Ecolo, 2016, 40(1): 36 -47 .